[mythtv-users] HDHR in harsh enviroments (was:OT: OTA HD )

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Dec 26 17:40:00 UTC 2008

On Friday 26 December 2008 10:29:03 John Drescher wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 11:59 AM, James Van Vleet
>
> <james.vanvleet at verety.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 December 2008 11:48:14 Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> >> If you have power and ethernet in the attic you can place a network
> >> based ATSC device such as a HDHomeRun next to the antenna. Even if
> >> you just have power there you can set up power-line networking to
> >> reach the device.
> >
> > Has anyone done this?   I was wondering if an HDHR could stand up to the
> > kind of temperature swings that can happen in an attic.  I was
> > contemplating something like this in the spring.  A few of us have
> > posted to the HDHR forum and finally were told only that it was
> > guaranteed to work in 0-40C (32-104F).
> >
> > I have only had my HDHR for a month or so but it has stood up to -15
> > degrees in the garage...
>
> I have thought about this in the past but for me the temps are too
> hot. I would avoid the attic unless you have an attic fan. Even with
> two fans my attic gets over 110F in the summer in Pittsburgh, PA.

I would expect that sort of high temp environment not to cause immediate
failure, but rather to decrease the MTBF and result in failure before you
might otherwise expect it. It might be difficult to trace this directly to
the operating environment.

Interestingly, the Google Hard drive study found temperature to be less of a
factor than the conventional wisdom would have predicted.

Hard drives are different from electronics-only units like the HDHR.
Especially high delta-T (fast temp changes) can cause head crashes on drives.

Remember the old days of the CDC removable disk packs? They suggested having
them sit in the new environment for 24 hours to get to the new temperature
and minimize drive warpage which could cause crashes. of course those
platters were considerably larger than the 3.5" ones used today.

--
beww
beww at beww.org