[mythtv-users] TVOverScan and RGB monitor

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 06:09:15 UTC 2008

There is just no documentation anywhere about TVOverScan.  This is a feature
of nvidia-settings so that you can reduce the screen size so that the
lettering doesn't get cut off on the menus.
I have a command line in a startup script that looks like this:

nvidia-settings -a TVOverScan[TV-0]=12

This command makes the picture fit the tv screen on the SVideo output
instead of having it overflow the screen.

The way mythtv works on this computer is that whatever the highest priority
monitor that is hooked up is the one that gets myth.  So, if just the TV is
connected, myth is on the Tv, if the LCD monitor is hooked up, it gets myth,
and if a DVI projector is hooked up, we watch movies on the big screen.

What I want to do is have myth on the TV but have the LCD hooked up for
status and such.  So, I start X and close mythtv on the LCD and start it on
the TV.  All is fine except the TVOverScan doesn't work.

There is almost zero documentation on the Nvidia site for TVOverScan and
what is there is wrong.  Note that TVOverScan used to go from 0 to 1 not it
goes from -100 to +100 or something like that, I don't really remember and
since it isn't documented, I can't look it up.

I not only don't know what to do to get rid of the overscan when using the
LCD, I don't even know if it is possible.

Anyone know?

Allen