[mythtv-users] BBC Timing issues

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Dec 27 13:20:54 UTC 2008

Stephen Bridges wrote:
> I've been running a MythTV system for a few years now, previously with two
> Nova-Ts but now with a Nova-S2 instead as I've moved somewhere with no
> freeview signal.  In the last few weeks BBC transmissions have been getting
> later and later for me.  i run ntpd and I have compared my clock with the
> transmitted time (using dvbdate --print) and am within a second of the
> transmission.
>
> However I've noticed Top Gear getting later and later in the 1:05 minutes I
> tape to grab the program, and after lengthening the time to record for
> programs after finishing to 8 odd minutes now, the programs taped over
> Christmas day were still too late.
>
> Is BBC getting later, or is it just me?

You forget the fact that you're now receiving from satellite, as opposed to a
ground station. There will be a transmission lag (tx -> sat -> rx) plus possible
encoding/buffering that you probably wouldn't get from DVB-T. (Runs out of
knowledge here, someone else will doubtless provide figures.)

And yes, the Beeb is getting a bit tardy, as opposed to some of the commercial
channels, which sometimes start things *early*. I have 5 min pre-roll and 5 min
post-roll on everything because of this.

--

Mike Perkins