[mythtv-users] Help with audio

Jason Gauthier jgauthier at lastar.com
Sun Dec 28 21:59:30 UTC 2008

Hey all,

   When I purchased a motherboard for my Myth setup, I ordered something
with known Linux compatibility and a coaxial output.  Turns out, the on
board unit is actually USB, and it is not well supported, and the coax
doesn't work at all.  (so sad).

So, I went out and purchased a Roland Edirol UA-1EX.    It supposed to
be supported well.  Well, lo-and-behold.. even alsa's speaker-test does
not work on all six channels.  I have tried all versions of also since
1.0.16.  This problems is really frustrating, and I've received no help
from Alsa-users on it after 2 months of inquiries.  I've nowhere else to
turn with that issue.

Anyway, I'm tired of fighting these problems and I want to purchase a
sound card that works.  I have the following requirements though:

Must have optical, and MUST be PCI-e.  The only slot I have left is a
PCI-e.

I am looking at Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium PCIe Sound Card, but I am
uncertain how well the optical is supported, or how well it works at all
with linux.

Looking for any advice, or firsthand experience.

Thanks!

Jason