[mythtv-users] What would happen if I cloned a working system disk and put it in another system?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Dec 29 03:29:56 UTC 2008

Craig Huff writes:

> If I temporarily add another hard drive to one of my working systems,
> partition it appropriately, and use "dump | restore" to get a
> duplicate disk (and then figure out how to put the MBR on it and fix
> issues with Fedora's predilection to tie everything to the disk UID
> instead of the partition name, such as /dev/hda4) is there a decent
> chance it will work as a system disk for another system with a
> different mobo, but with the same cpu family -- meaning something like
> AMD Athlon - AMD Athlon, or Intel Core 2 Duo - Intel Core 2 Duo?

Presuming that you have correctly cloned the disk, I expect that you'll have
no problems booting it. The only exceptions to this rule is if you are using
SCSI disks and the other machine has a SCSI HBA that's supported by a
different kernel module.

And, actually, you're really better off mounting everything by the
partition's label, rather than UUID, or the raw device node. That's the most
portable approach.