[mythtv-users] What would happen if I cloned a working system disk and put it in another system?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 29 03:31:13 UTC 2008

On Sunday 28 December 2008 20:14:58 Craig Huff wrote:
> Long story / short:  I am still running MythTV 0.20.x on FC6 and/or
> CentOS 5.x for various reasons.
>
> If I temporarily add another hard drive to one of my working systems,
> partition it appropriately, and use "dump | restore" to get a
> duplicate disk (and then figure out how to put the MBR on it and fix
> issues with Fedora's predilection to tie everything to the disk UID
> instead of the partition name, such as /dev/hda4) is there a decent
> chance it will work as a system disk for another system with a
> different mobo, but with the same cpu family -- meaning something like
> AMD Athlon - AMD Athlon, or Intel Core 2 Duo - Intel Core 2 Duo?

That would be a definite "maybe". I have managed to get away with doing that
in the past.

You might just try a "dd" to clone the disks, this should copy essentially
everything and be easier.

Major differences between the mobos might cause trouble, or need to be cleaned
up, assuming you can get it to boot. Depends also on whether you are using
modules or have a custom kernel built, which might have device support
specific to your mobo's integrated devices. With the stock kernels you should
be OK.

I'd say you have a good chance.

--
beww