[mythtv-users] Seemingly many unusable deinterlace methods.

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 15:44:30 UTC 2008

2008/12/29 Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net>:
> Mark Kendall wrote:
>>
>> 2008/12/29 Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net>:
>>>
>>> I'm using opengl rendering, and trying to select
>>> the "Interlaced 2x (HW)" deinterlacer, but I get an
>>> error:
>>>
>>> Failed to approve 'opengldoubleratefieldorder' deinterlacer.
>>>

>> Paul - are you on fixes or trunk?
>
> Hmmm, sorry, I have to admit I don't really know... well
> certainly not on trunk. I'm using Minimyth, and my look at
> the source was just what I downloaded from the MythTV site,
> so probably just the snapshot of the release of v21.

OK - firstly, that log message will often appear when in live tv and
the video player tries to set the deinterlacer before the final
playback profile/renderer has been fully initialised. Admittedly it's
confusing - and still in trunk I think. To check whether your
deinterlacer of choice is subsequently approved, you need to run with
some extra logging (-v playback).

Secondly, even if it does approve that particular deinterlacer, you
probably will still notice interlacing artifacts. It's designed not to
deinterlace (if that makes sense!) but to try and present interlaced
material on interlaced displays so that the tv can do the
deinterlacing.

and finally, if that's a minimyth installation on a via board,  you're
not going to get a lot of mileage out of opengl playback anyway :)

Regards

Mark