[mythtv-users] Analog and Digital - Do i have this straight?

Teruel de Campo MD chusty at attglobal.net
Mon Dec 29 22:09:47 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-27 at 10:34 -0700, Greg Woods wrote:
> That means a set-top box in places where the majority
> of channels are encrypted (such as Comcast in Denver/Boulder).

Guys,

I'm pretty confused what direction to go.
I have  pvr 350 which works great and I bought a Hauppauge HDPV and a
HD-5500 Pc card but ther are in their boxes. The only thing I have
connected it the old pvr-350 and trying to figure out the rest. I do
live in Denver. Here something of interest.

I have a long online chat with one the tech from Comcast. For what I
discussed with her:

1. They will keep a basic packages of channels as we have now analog but
they will be digital. The channels will be basically the same channels
we have now.

2. Any of these digital channels can be seen with any tv with a quam
tunner without the need of a comcast box so they are not scramble.

3. Some channels as we have now are scramble and they will need the
comcast box.

4. I did not ask about  the digital to analog conversion because I did
not know it. I though if you have an analog tv then you need a box with
the tunner (comcast box) to use it.

5. Does any of you are using either HDPVR or the pcHDTV hd-5500 card?

I was so happy with the low definition analog tv..........:-(

-=terry=-