[mythtv-users] Mythtv and Choice Hotels

mons37318 at mypacks.net mons37318 at mypacks.net
Tue Dec 30 01:15:32 UTC 2008

I haven't managed the filtering/foldering thing with this list (mostly cauese it overloaded webmail, which I use a lot, and webmail doesn't filter, so i switched the list to another address - real address is pam at bakulanews.com )

translation of previous papagraph:

if you reply to the list, i may never see the reply. i would try harder to look for a reply, but this really isn't a question. if you want me to *see* a reply, try cc'ing me

someone has probably already mentioned this but just in case

I recently drove from FL to Mass, with my roommate. (well, sort of - his insurance company won't let me drive his car and mine won't make it to Mass, so *he* drove and I rode along)

something I noticed along the way

earthlink won't allow (connections?) to port 80 so our mythweb is on port 8080

tried to get online from various Choice Hotels (3, in three different cities and levels - el cheapo, pretty okay, and Wow, it's a Suite!)

couldn't connect.
had brother check at home
no probs at home
argued a bit

someone may have suggested adding :8080 to url
got different error message
argued more (the order of these events is fuzzy in my head)
I suggested some firewall thingy at the hotel might be screwing with the port, not allowing me to connect

we decided that was the case.

so, if you are traveling and recording, you might want to either choose a hotel that does not belong to the choice hotels chain, or you might want to gripe to them in advance

also, was unable to reach vnc via port 5900 (that could have been me - it's possible it's 5901 or 5902 - we have a couple of linux and a couple of Windows machines here, and I forget which one is which.)

anyway it was annoying and you are the only people who i knew would "feel my pain" - and might care, at some point in your travels, so I thought i would post it.

got to my friend's house and mythweb worked just fine - alas, wasn't able to connect to their wireless, ended up using wired ethernet, and then reinstalling the drivers to my wireless on my laptop in a hotel in delaware, at 3am (where i was, once again, unable to access mythweb - thus verifying a Choice Hotels-wide problem) as, apparently, my friend's hubby did something ugly to my wireless... configuration thingie.
uninstall, stick card back in. driver reinstalled itself. (computer rang mercilessly during all of this, waking my half dead roomie, till i could finally get it booted and shut off the darn speakers - something which seems impossible to do via hardware on this particlar machine)

--
Pam from Boston
Happily ever after means the show is really over.