[mythtv-users] What would happen if I cloned a working system disk and put it in another system?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 13:22:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 2:18 PM, raphy <rpooser at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've done this several times. In one case I simply copied everything
> from one HD to the other using only cp, and then ran grub on the new
> HD. In another case I used dd, and in yet another I used a clone
> program that came with the HD itself, something like the maxtor
> utility that used (don't know if it still does) to come with maxtor
> drives. All of the above methods worked. I found simply using cp
> followed by grub to be easiest because I could omit things like the
> recording directory.
> I had one HD that I was using for a while as a test HD to install new
> TV tuners and compile drivers. I was swapping it between three
> different computers with drastically different motherboards, and some
> had intel, some had AMD processors. In recent times I never had a
> problem just sticking a HD in any random box and having it boot. Maybe
> a few years ago I found things more finicky because not as many things
> were supported in the vanilla kernels. This is mainly with ubuntu that
> I'm saying things worked without problems from one system to the next.
>
> The way I set up my frontend was simply by cloning my backend machine
> and then disabling the backend startup script and pointing the
> frontend to the backend IP. Easy quick frontend setup (or I think it
> was at the time ;)

Raphael-

That's pretty much what I wanted to hear.

And, yeah, now that you mention it, I think my issues with using dd
instead of dump and restore (my O/S partitions are ext3) were the two
show-stoppers of having the target disk smaller and the source disk of
interest had the /video partition as well as root, /var, swap, etc.

I'll give the dump | restore process a try and see what happens.

Craig.