[mythtv-users] Does MythTV support HD video and media libraries

Igor Chudov igor at chudov.com
Tue Dec 30 20:45:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 01:11:17PM -0700, Travis Tabbal wrote:
> Libraries are supported. MythVideo and MythMusic handle that.

Cool. I just installed it (from work, will check when I get home). How
do you add it?

> I use a fileserver with NFS mounts. Works great.

Same here. My whole house is wired with gigabit and I have numerous
Linux computers including this basement entertainment one.

> I just set it to show me the file tree, I don't really use the fancy
> database stuff it supports. I don't do music from Myth yet, but I've
> seen the options and such in there.

Cool. This is more from a "nice to have" department, as there is also
a "XMBC".

> For ease of setup, use Mythbuntu. It's a streamlined Ubuntu install that has
> some nice tools to configure the system for you. So you don't have to worry
> about the database etc.. Works great here. You still use the standard Ubuntu
> repositories, and it's a real Ubuntu install, just cut back for you so you
> don't have to do it manually.

I tried those things, and did not like it, I prefer everything to be
"Ubuntu" that is customized with my scripts.

> For HD input, you can do OTA easy enough with various devices.

Sorry, what is OTA?

> Satelite is harder. There is only one component capture device out
> there right now. The Hauppauge HD-PVR. It's a USB device that does
> it's own compression of the component video feed to h264.

> It is supported, but requires patching the source.

Do you mean MythTV source or kernel?

I have been recompiling kernel a lot and that part is easy, MythTV, I
assume not so easy.

> I don't know if anyone has a deb you can use to handle that part for
> you. It's a bit bleeding edge, but works well from reports on the
> list. I'm considering one for myself, but it's a ways off.
>
> You can use Dish and DTV at the same time, you need capture cards for each
> source and you can configure them in mythtv-setup. I believe the capture
> device has to be dedicated to the source, you can't share one device with
> multipule sources. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that one
> though.

Good enough for me.

> Playback from the HD-PVR is going to require a big CPU (3Ghz dual core seems
> to be the common recomendation) or hardware acceleration. For the later,
> VDPAU is your only choice. It requires an NVidia video card, or motherboard
> chipset, with a series 8 or 9 GPU. It currently requires running MythTV
> trunk and beta video drivers. Not an "out of the box" soultion. Give it a
> few months and it likely will be though, so you might consider getting the
> proper hardware and using it later if you want to. I have it working on a
> test machine and it works very well.

I think that I should get a big CPU regardless, as I play Bluray files
that I get from The Pirate Bay.

Very nice answers. Thanks