[mythtv-users] Does MythTV support HD video and media libraries

Igor Chudov igor at chudov.com
Tue Dec 30 22:48:51 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 02:56:38PM -0700, Travis Tabbal wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Igor Chudov <igor at chudov.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks. At this point it is a no brainer that I need to get an antenna
> > and OTA tuner card and start with that. I assume that some combination
> > thereof is supported by MythTV out-of-the-box, right?
>

> Yes. Many ATSC tuner devices are supported out of the box. I found the
> HDHomeRun VERY easy to deal with. It is a dual tuner device that
> connects to ethernet. That means no kernel drivers are required. It's
> just a simple UDP stream.

Awesome. I just bought it on Newegg, along with an outdoor antenna.

> MythTV knows how to deal with it, so you just tell Myth you have
> one, and it sets it up for you. It also has an IR receiver built in
> that you can configure LIRC to use so you don' t need to buy one of
> those if you go this route.

I thought that MythTV would talk to homerun by means of
homerun_config? Why infrared?

> Note that for guide data you will need an account with Schedules
> Direct. It's reasonably cheap at something like $20/year.
> http://www.schedulesdirect.org/

not a problem.

> I'm using a DB4 antenna on the roof for my OTA. It's working great at
> about 15 miles from the transmitters.

I bought HDTV ANTENNA WINEGARD SS2000 for outdoor antenna, I am about
25 miles west of Chicago.

I am very excited by this HDHomeRun device. What a great fscking
concept. Cannot wait to get it!

I have a remote keyboard for control, which works OK.