[mythtv-users] First MythTV System

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 03:39:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Charles Wright <cpwright at gmail.com> wrote:

*snip*

> Now for some questions:
> 1) Is there a way to record something you are watching on LiveTV
> (basically saving the start of the program you've been watching
> seemlessly with the rest)?  I am looking for Tivo equivalent
> functionality of just hitting the record button whlie watching
> something.

Yep.  You hit the record button.  :)  (Keyboard R, which most people map to
the record button on the remote).

> 2) The remote seems to map to keys, is there a way in 0.21 to have
> certain keys bring you to a particular function regardless of the
> current screen (e.g., the Live TV button and Guide Buttons).

Yes, they're called jump points.  Utilities/Setup->Edit Keys, in the
jumppoints section.  Bind a key to one.

> 3) Is there a way to stop escape on  main menu from exiting?  It would
> be nicer if it was ignored and I could add a "Menu" exit item
> elsewhere; trying to make the whole system appear more blackbox like.
> As an aside I really like the customizability of the menus, it lets me
> make it friendlier for my wife to use by putting Watch Videos and Play
> DVD right on top (since we use those for the kids a lot).

Yes.  Set the System Exit Key to No Exit Key in General Settings.

> 4) Can you make DVD subtitles default to on, like you can with closed
> captions?

Not that I know of when using the internal player.

> 5) Does anyone know if I can use a generic remote with the MCE IR reciever?

Yes.  You can "teach" LIRC new keys on other remotes using the irrecord
command.

> 6) Is it possible to do mute in software without a mixer?

If you mean muting ac3 passthrough, no, it'll have to be done on the
receiver.

Robert