[mythtv-users] 1 tuner of 2 records poorly from a single channel

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri Feb 1 02:06:22 UTC 2008

On Thursday 31 January 2008 08:35, Jonathan Black wrote:
> Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > About a week ago, one of the 2 tuners on my PVR-500 started making very
> > bad recordings for one channel (Shaw cable channel 2, CTV). Would anyone
> > have any idea how that would occur, and what I could do to fix it? That
> > tuner works fine for all other channels, and the second tuner records
> > channel 2 just fine.
> >
> > For a workaround, how can I force recordings on channel 2 to use the 2nd
> > tuner?
>
> Do you think it is possible you have a weak signal? I have a PVR500 and
> had to boost the signal because the second tuner was very fuzzy. After
> using a signal booster, it looks great.
>
> If you want to force Tuner 2 to record channel 2, just turn the priority
> up for that tuner (In Mythtv-setup) and then turn the priority for the
> channel up. As far as I know, tuner 2 should start recording that
> channel then.
>
> Jonathan

Thanks for that. Could be that my signal strength has dropped, maybe because
of something an installer did in my building or the extreme cold we've been
having here, but it's only affecting 1 tuner on 1 channel so there's nothing
more systematic than that to indicate the problem or a solution.

The last time I inquired I was told that my signal is actually a bit hot, so
maybe something changed. I'll see when this cold spell breaks, maybe it will
self-correct. I live in a high-rise apartment so there's a lot of opportunity
for a tech to cause problems, like leaving the door to the cable panel open
to swing in the wind.