[mythtv-users] Notification of Channel Setup Change?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Feb 1 17:49:04 UTC 2008

James Cummings wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2008 9:58 PM, John Veness <John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk> wrote:
>> James Cummings wrote:
>>> Hiya,
>>>
>>> Living in the UK, using DVB-T (i.e. freeview), and over the air (EIT)
>>> guide data.  Is there some automated way we could be notified when
>>> there has a been a (however minor) change to the channel setup?  An
>>> off-the-shelf freeview STB I have does this.  I occasionally turn it
>>> on and it says "Change to channel listing" in the bottom left hand
>>> corner for the first 30 seconds.  Everytime there is a channel listing
>>> change (i.e. they muck about with the frequencies or squeeze yet
>>> another 'quiz' channel into the limited bandwidth, or rename
>>> something, etc.) I have to rescan existing transports if I want to be
>>> at all confident that the shows I'm interested in will record.
>>> Another option (which I asked about a couple days ago with no reply)
>>> would be to have some way to auto-rescan each evening or something.
>>> Suggestions?
>>>
>>> -James
>> I wonder how that STB does it. Does it regularly scan for potential
>> channel changes, or does it get notified about them somehow? If the
>> latter, I wonder if there is a way to hook MythTV into the same information.
>
> No clue, but almost all STB I've tried do it. (Mine is a BT iplayer+
> (rebadged netgem), but my mother-in-law's Humax does it as well.

AIUI the STB listens to one of the digital streams and is reprogrammed
directly from that stream.

Note that cableco's often offer internet access, and those streams are
visible to our digital tuners, like PPV channels are. So there is an
easy route for the STB to learn about/remap its internal programming. It
just listens to a particular channel+pid, and receives instructions.

Pity that there is no route for us to do the same!

Geoff