[mythtv-users] X Sartup ?

David Greaves myth at dgreaves.com
Sun Feb 3 19:58:03 UTC 2008

David Frascone wrote:

> I've been running dedicated frontends for a while, but started thinking,
> "there may be a better way"
>
> Right now, I use the auto login function of gdm to login myth after 5
> secs, and run the myth user's default Xsession, which starts my myth
> frontend, xscreensaver, etc, and blackbox.  (very lightweight wm).
>
> What do people normally use to startup myth on a dedicated frontend?
> I've been thinking that there may be a lighter weight solution than gdm.

I think it was me that came up with the ultimate in lightweight :)

Instead of running getty, edit /etc/inittab so that VC 6 runs:
  mingetty --autologin myth

Then have the .profile for myth run:

[ `tty` = '/dev/tty6' -a -f /etc/nomyth ] && { sleep 10; exit; }
[ `tty` = '/dev/tty6' ] && {
mv ~/myth.log ~/myth.log.old
exec /usr/bin/X11/startx /usr/bin/mythfrontend -v 255 2>&1 > ~/myth.log; }

see here for something very similar:
  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frontend_Auto_Login

David