[mythtv-users] Stereo sound works over optical link but surround doesn't

Jesse Burt genecide at comcast.net
Mon Feb 4 14:10:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 11:12 +0100, Ole Wolf wrote:
> I realize that I may have to encode the output as AC3, but when I type:
>
>    $ mplayer -ao alsa -ac hwac3 filename.ac3
>
> for hardware AC3 encoding, mplayer complains that:

Are you certain you typed the command exactly as you had above?
If you're sure of it and it spits out an error exactly like:

>    Unknown option on the command line: -hwac3
>    Error parsing option on the command line: -hwac3

then make sure you don't have any aliases set up to mplayer
(unalias mplayer; then try it again) or any shell scripts named mplayer
in your PATH that are wrappers to the real mplayer executable, i.e.,
something that actually executes 'mplayer -hwac3 ...' when you
type just 'mplayer'. Lastly, check your ~/.mplayer/config file for
a line that has -hwac3 in it.

Cheers,
Jesse