[mythtv-users] Problem putting an iso file on DVD

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Mon Feb 4 14:47:21 UTC 2008

On 3 Feb 2008, at 15:19, Scott Traurig wrote:
> Meanwhile, my stupid LiteOn dh20a4p drive just failed to make a
> dual-layer
> DVD correctly from an .iso using the above method. It's supposed to
> be able
> to do this. It finishes the job but the disk is essentially
> unusable. I
> wonder if the problem is the drive or the choice of media (Memorex
> DVD+R DL)
> or something else? (Single layer stuff from File Browser works OK).

I recently had similar problems with a Pioneer 119 DVD-writer.

In the past it has always given an error when writing the lead-out or
during verification, resulting in a disk which was usually-readable,
at least in the same drive. Having bought some new media the other
week, however, it started failing at the layer-change.

In the past I have regarded dual-layer media as rather expensive - I
think the last lot of disks I bought were £1.20 or £1.50 per disk, as
opposed to 20p per disk for single-layer DVDs - so I have been rather
reluctant to chase the problem down. These most recent disks were far
more reasonably priced, however, and I also happened to have handy a
new LG DVD-writer which I'd ordered for a customer - it transpired to
write every disk perfectly.

My Pioneer was about 2.5 years old, so even though it has always had
this problem it is now too late to claim a warranty replacement. It
has burned less than 100 single-layer DVDs and less than 20 dual-
layer ones, so I am very disappointed - I intend writing to Pioneer
to express this. The point of my rambling comment, however, is that
the drive may be the cause, not the media. I believe that  the layer-
change is a relatively tricky operation, but in any case DVD-writers
are £20 these days, so it's not too much of an expense to replace.

Stroller.