[mythtv-users] Scale down HDTV to 420p easier or harder on system?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:14:52 UTC 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 12:01 PM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> wrote:

> >I'm looking at getting a HDHomeRun box to get local ATSC channels in
> >better quality, however, my TV is currently setup as a 720x420p
> >monitor over DVI. Is it going to be harder on my system to down
> >scale the video and play at 420p or just straight out decode and
> >play at 1080i?
> >

> My experience is the scaling to the display size is nothing compared
> to the actual mepg2 decode. I see no difference in cpu usage when
> displaying 1080i mpeg2 HD content on 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i
> display sizes. This is also 1080i content from a HDHomeRun using
> local of-the-air ATSC channels.
>
> Get your xvmc working first (if glxgears does not work, nothing else
> will ether), then turn to getting your mythfrontend configured.

I got glxgears working and it was getting over 600 fps which seemed to be
about right for my Geforce4 4000, however, when I tried to play MPEG2
content (DVD or DVD as .iso) the video in xine or mythtv became very choppy
and xine complained about dropping frames.

What would cause xvmc to have worse performance than without?

Richard