[mythtv-users] safe to 'apt-get upgrade' ubuntu 7.04 w/ 0.20.2?

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Mon Feb 4 18:02:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 12:48 -0500, Brad Parker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I searched the archive but didn't see much about this.
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 with mythtv 0.20.2, installed via apt-get.
>
> Any know if it is safe to keep my ubuntu up to date by using a vanilla
> "apt-get upgrade"?

Official instructions here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

If you are running Ubuntu, an upgrade through the upgrade manager would
be more appropriate.

sudo update-manager

If command line is the only solution, the server tools are probably more
appropriate:

$ sudo apt-get install update-manager-core

$
sudo do-release-upgrade

As a 3rd option, I would run aptitude (better conflict management logic
than apt-get) with the dist-upgrade option, meaning it can remove stuff
as well.

$ sudo aptitude dist-upgrade

My experience with generic systems is that you may need to run it a few
times, that way it will go through all possible conflicts.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

> Is this what most people do? (from time to time, that is)

I have upgraded Debian and Ubuntu systems for years. I do not see the
point in a fresh install.

Nico