[mythtv-users] Superfast playback?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 6 01:29:15 UTC 2008

On 02/05/2008 07:50 PM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> On 5-Feb-08, at 5:11 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 02/05/2008 06:43 PM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
>>
>>> Recording via firewire.
>>> In the small preview window I can see the recoding is playing fine.
>>>
>>> When I display it, it races through the program in super fast time.
>>> Why would this be?
>>>
>>> In the Mythfrontend log, I have tons of "audio buffer overflow" audio
>>> data lost messages
>>>

>>> Anyone have ideas?
>>>
>> The recording has 32kHz audio and your sound card configuration/
>> hardware
>> requires 48kHz audio.  Fix your ALSA conf.
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound (even
>> if
>> you're not using digital outputs).
> OK, I am not using the digital sound outputs as you mentioned.  Audigy
> PCI.
> Is it really as simple as adding the /etc/asound.conf with the one in
> that web site?

If you're not using AC-3/DTS passthrough, yes.  If you are, maybe.  ;)
(And if that "maybe" becomes a "no", things are much more complicated.)

>   That fixes the 32/48 khz parts?

Yep.

> Is it always required to do this?  Or just with HD?  Or firewire?

It all depends on the sound card hardware.  For nearly all cards with
iec958 outputs, though, yes, something like that is required (unless you
only play back files with 48kHz audio or the application does the
re-encoding for you--in which cases it's still required, but you don't
notice that it is).

Mike