[mythtv-users] "Odometer" Threads

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 7 02:29:19 UTC 2008

Jon wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008, at 6:06 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> Jon wrote:
>>
>>> Dude, if you could get Dish on board, maybe they'd even think about a
>>> firewire output. Okay, dreaming a bit... I just hate DTV (my current
>>> provider) and IR blasters (which Dish requires).
>> I've asked about F/W, or any other way to get an unencrypted MPEG
>> stream
>> out of the box. I was told that would never happen any time in this
>> universe, though I could not get any explanation of why. I suspect it
>> has to do with the program owners.
>>
>> I was also told that there are jeeped boxes available on the internet,
>> but not legally.
>>
>> beww
>

> Yea, you know, it's not even the firewire that bothers me so much (it
> would be nice). It's the lack of a serial interface to control the
> box. I don't like IR blasters. They're not dependable. They'll work
> 99 times, and then you'll miss the 1 show you really wanted, that may
> not be replayed again (though this seems to be happening less and
> less, esp. with the lack of new content due to striking)

I've never had a misfire on controlling a DISH receiver in over 2 years.
I'm using one of the MyBlasters, which I believe are no longer
available. I also have the receiver and blaster in a more or less
light-tight cabinet

> I don't
> understand why they won't allow the mpeg stream, but maybe at some
> point the fcc will decide they want to regulate a little more, and
> make a power grab at the dish companies (both video and broadband).
>
> Also, I am aware of these boxes, even have come across plans to
> d.i.y. but don't feel I should have to incur such costs, and so until
> things change, I will do without (I have directv anyway, and just
> output the normal way) (at least until I decide I want HD... right
> now I only have a 32" SD that I got 7 years ago and plan on using
> until it stops working! Might get HD before that, but not high on my
> priorities)

At first DISH said the FCC prohibited them from giving me an MPEG
stream. When I asked for the particular section that said that they gave
me the reference to CATV STBs, which has nothing to do with satellite
receivers and is more or less on my side anyway.

When I pointed that out, I was then told that they really didn't know
why things were the way they were, they couldn't get an answer from
their superiors. At least I think that was an honest answer.

I dropped it at that point, you have to choose your battles and that is
not a ditch I am prepared to die in.

beww