[mythtv-users] "Odometer" Threads

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 7 16:14:15 UTC 2008

Marc Sherman wrote:
> Steve Smith wrote:
>> As far as myth is concerned though, I think at the end of the day though it
>> comes to money
>> there's no point in going after individual users you'd get no return.
>> I suppose they might go after the ISP hosting the website...

Or Schedules Direct? Or even their data supplier?

>> More likely they'd go after the capture card manufacturers who after all
>> bundle PVR software with their cards and can be expected to have some money.

That's the old go after the gun makers because their products MIGHT be
used in a crime theory.

I don't know why TiVo decided to go after DISH. DirectTV also offers
DVRs, and they are bigger than DISH (16 million vs. 13 million subs).

> Yeah, any dual tuner capture device (such as the PVR500 or HDHomeRun)
> would seem to be at risk here.

Why only dual-tuner units? What's to stop me from simply buying two
single-tuner units? Or the 7 that I own?

I understand MCE systems in the USA are limited to 2 tuners, and those
systems sold overseas are limited to 1 tuner.

I wonder if Microsoft saw this coming?

beww