[mythtv-users] CPU not enough to drive 1080P? Core2duo

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 17:21:30 UTC 2008

On 2/7/08, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> My GeForce 4 MX 440 drives full 1080p.

This might be asking the obvious, but it's all the "other stuff" ---
such as main CPU power --- that determines how well 1080p content (or
HD in general) will play, right?

Am I correct in my understanding that the 440MX will support XvMC? I'm
pretty sure I'll need that to have a hope in heck of playing any HD on
my system --- once I finally get my a TV. I've got an AthlonXP 2800+.
:)

I've never been able to get the XvMC stuff to give me anything other
than an error, but I strongly suspect it's because my distro is old
enough (Slackware 9.2, I think) that the X server doesn't properly
include XvMC (missing headers or something), so I'm pretty sure I'll
need to bite the bullet and upgrade to Slackware 12.0.

--
aaron

"Oh oh oh. I'm incoherent with excitement. Please tell me what fascinating
bit of badger-sputumly inconsequential trivia you will assail me with next."
        -- Arthur Dent