[mythtv-users] Fedora Core 4 upgrade recomendations

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 17:29:48 UTC 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 9:59 AM, Jacob Steenhagen <jacob at steenhagen.us> wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2008 12:24 PM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > 5. Upgrade to CentOS 5 (more or less Fedora Core 6), as has been
> >   discussed several times here. Enjoy support through 2014.
> >

> It would be more like a fresh install on CentOS 5. As far as I know,
> there's no "upgrade" path from Fedora to CentOS. I would also recommend this
> route. Just do a mysqldump of your database from your FC 4 install and
> import that into your MySQL install once you have CentOS up and running. I
> did a very similar thing recently... I had been running 0.20.1 on FC4 w/a
> custom script to download the data from Schedules Direct and modify the data
> so it looked like what came from Zap2It. I got a new TV and no longer needed
> to use the TV out of my PVR350 so I did a fresh install on "new" hardware
> that could support HD (still no working HD tuner) using CentOS 5.1. If you
> enable the atrpms testing repo, you can pretty much follow Jared's Fedora
> guide step-by-step.

+1

I did this about 1 month ago (from FC6 to Centos 5.1) and it's been great.
I followed Jarod's guide, enabled atrpms and atrpms-testing and everything
went well.  Before performing the OS re-install, I used "dump" to dump my /
and other important partitions to my /data RAID partition which was not
touched during installation.  This allowed me to restore various files as
needed.  I also use MySQL-ZRM (see http://www.zmanda.com/backup-mysql.html)
to do nightly automated backups of mythconverg.

/Brian/