[mythtv-users] Re-doing my backend

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Feb 7 21:28:05 UTC 2008

David Frascone wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2008 2:31 PM, David Frascone <frasconebulk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd like my "important" stuff to be kinda backed up.  Either with raid, or
>> maybe just mirror'ed onto the myth video storage -- just to be safe.  I
>> think I should not worry about raid 5 here -- what do you think?
>> The mythtv video store is not important to me -- I was planning on just
>> buying a couple of 500Gb or so disks.  No redundancy.
>>

> What about disks?  Can LVM do what I need?  Multiple disks == more power, so
> I'd like a minimalistic solution that still has some redundancy for my
> "important" data.
>
> If there are any LVM experts or linux disk experts here -- I'd like to know
> if I can have a 40-80Gb disk, mirror'ed onto a partition of a bigger video
> disk?
>
> That way, I can buy one small disk for boot / os / important files, and one
> big disk for video + mirror of the important stuff.
>
> But, every time I mess with LVM it seems really complex.  Maybe a better
> solution is just one big disk, and a nightly rsync to a backup NAS or
> something?

The better solution, IMHO, is small disk for the OS with at least 2
partitions, and rsyncing the important data to the the big video disk
every night with cron. The OS disk partitions include one for '/', one
for /home (which stores copies of important stuff from /etc too) and
possibly one for /var (so that /var/lib/mysql is not on the OS
partition). Revising /etc/my.cnf can put mysql at /home/msyql, hitting 2
birds with one stone. (This is for Fedora)

Note that if your log files (in /var) fill the partition, then Fedora
(linux generally?) may crash and will not re-boot. If running myth you
may suddenly find that there are no programs displayed in 'Watch
Recordings' (since mysql cannot now write to
/var/lib/mysql/mythconverg). All is not lost however!

Note that the OS and /home etc will easily fit in 12 or 13 G harddrive,
IF you can find one!

Geoff