[mythtv-users] AppleTV with Linux

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Fri Feb 8 06:32:33 UTC 2008

Mark Chang wrote:
> Mostly in response to davilla at 4pi's posting re: appletv...
>
> So, does a straight linux install w/MythFrontend actually net usable
> 1080i HD playback? I am willing to forego the Apple software and use
> straight linux.
>
> Anyone else do this and have some data to share? $229 and some legwork
> sounds great for another HD-capable mythfrontend. Heck, even an
> SD-only front end might be fine for the bedroom to replace my aging
> ReplayTV.

Keep in mind, if you are willing to go SD only, the MediaMVP. But use
the software at mvpmc.org...

What this combo gets:
1) Opensource linux C development.
2) Not a real myth front end, but one specifically designed to interface
with a myth back end server.
3) A ReplayTV client. This feature of mvpmc if fairly solid.  So don't
toss that ReplayTV box yet.
4) A slimserver (a.k.a. squeezecenter) client for playing music.
5) File browser (good for looking at NFS exports).
6) Lots of other stuff, some done, some still being worked on...
Yahoo weather
VNCViewer
Internet radio
Webserver interface