[mythtv-users] AppleTV with Linux

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Fri Feb 8 17:00:08 UTC 2008

>I've been running Mythfrontend on an eMac for about 3 weeks now, and
>from what I can tell, it's the most stable frontend I have.  In that
>3 weeks, I have not rebooted once, and the only time I've restarted
>the frontend application is when I rebooted my backend server.   My
>machine is underpowered (800mhz, 256mb ram), and sometimes I need to
>press "play" a second time, but it's not that big a deal.
>
>If you want the best drivers for the hardware, I would stick with
>some version of Mac OS X and run Mythfrontend on that.  I've seen
>various how-to's for compiling MythTV on a Mac (if you're into that
>kind of thing) but I've never done it personally.

On a MacMini, it has enough cpu to decode 1080i in software. On the
AppleTV, you can do 720p with software decode but 1080i requires
hardware decode assist. Since one does not have a hardware decode API
under OSX, you have to switch to linux to get acesss to xvmc hardware
assist decode.

Mythfrontend on a MacMini under OSX works very well and is quite stable.