[mythtv-users] OT Superbowl and Direct TV, 2 separate items.

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Feb 9 00:31:41 UTC 2008

On Feb 8, 2008, at 4:21 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
>> First I would like to apologize.  When I sent the request I didn't
>> even
>> think of the legal ramifications.  I made a stupid mistake by
>> asking, I
>> apologize for that.  I'll leave it at that.
>
> It's ironic. The goal of advertisements is to reach as many people as
> possible. The cost of airtime depends on how many viewers can be
> delivered. Viewers are everything.
>
> Then, when somebody thinks about doing something that would get the
> advertiser MORE viewers, at absolutely no cost, they are threatened
> with
> legal action.
>
> It seems to me that if you blast something out of hundreds of
> terrestrial antennas at a combined total of gigawatts, plus send it
> all
> over the globe via multiple satellite links, you really don't have a
> right to complain if somebody duplicates it.
>
> But then that would make sense.
>
> beww

I'm sure they would be very happy if the advertisements were kept in
tact and everyone sat through all of them. The reason why advertisers
spend so much money on the Super Bowl is because it's a time-sensitive
event. So many people watch it in real time that they can justify the
cost of their ad dollars because they know some people will actually
sit and watch the ad waiting for the game to come back on as not to
miss anything. After the fact - even if you don't have a device
capable of skipping past commercials, you are much less likely to sit
through them.