[mythtv-users] Video problem

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Sat Feb 9 06:51:31 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2008, at 12:07 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>

>>> Which input are you using? I had this problem when I was running on
>>> DVI2 which is 1080i only but when I switched to DVI1 (1080p) it went
>>> away. I also upgraded my cable from a single link DVI o a dual link
>>> DVI cable at the same time so I'm not sure which fixed it.
>>>

>> Thanks Brad for your thoughts! Oh boy your questions got me to
>> thinking
>> and I decided to double check things as I never considered that there
>> might be a difference between input connectors on the monitor (or
>> output
>> connectors on the ATI card...)
>>
>> I am running the Westinghouse monitor on its DVI1 input and
>> according to
>> Westinghouse's manual there is no difference in what either the DVI1
>> or
>> DVI2 input connects will support, it claims they both support 1080i or
>> 1080p.
>>

> Interesting. I have this same display (maybe an older version?) and
> there was a note in my packaging that said DVI2 will only run at 1080i
> and DVI1 would run 1080p.
> How about your cable? Are all the pins active or does it look like
> there are about half the pins on the cable that be? If it's half the
> pins, you have a single link DVI cable and you might do better with a
> dual-link DVI cable. That also might be why you weren't getting
> anything useful trying to run 1080p. I've heard arguments that either
> should work fine, but my personal experience is that single link would
> only give me 1080i.
>

>> As far as the ATI card is concerned,
>>

> No idea. I've always run nVidia. Sorry I can't help there.
>
> -Brad

Ok I did some research on your question about the cable (sorry for the
delay in replying...) I am using dual-link DVI-D cables and I believe
from what I have read that since I am running a digital flat panel
display I do not need the dual-link DVI-I cables. The Radeon x1900 ATI
card has two dual-link DVI-I connectors which from my understanding
(correct me if I am wrong) is compatible with using the dual link DVI-D
cables.

As I stated earlier this problem with the flashing bars is confined to
using the Hauppauge 350 PVR card under Linux in MythTV. It does not
happen when I run the Hauppauge 350 PVR card under Windows XP using the
Hauppauge Win2000 TV program. So that leads me to believe this is not a
hardware problem but a software issue of some kind.

The regular desktop display in both Windows and Linux appear fine so
that makes me wonder about the drivers for the Hauppauge 350??? Or
perhaps MythTV itself is doing something that is interfering with the
video quality?

   Marc... Thanks again and still puzzled.....