[mythtv-users] 1TB USB $225 US

Matt Mossholder matt+MythTV-Users at mossholder.com
Mon Feb 11 19:21:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 11:24 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> True I guess, on a lightly loaded network.
>
> It's just getting pretty stupid. "Gigabit" network can't actually
> approach that speed, USB can't come close to the advertised speed,
> "54Mhz." wireless can't come close to that...
>
> Why can't manufacturers tell the truth about hardware capabilities?
>
> I guess once one outfit starts lying and getting away with it all the
> rest have to follow suit or get "out marketed".
>
> beww

It all comes down to hardware.  A good NIC and switch will come pretty
darn close to full throttle.   If I take the disks out of the equation
between the two systems I used in the previous test, I get somewhere
close to 890Mbit/s.

I suspect the reason it isn't higher is that I have all the on-card
optimizations turned off (TSO, checksums, scatter/gather, etc.). That,
and I am not using jumbo frames.

		--Matt