[mythtv-users] All the other 1TB HDD bubbles

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 11 21:10:15 UTC 2008

John Drescher wrote:
>> Also, since they usually don't spec the drive inside the case they can
>> throw whatever they have an excess of into a case and sell it, while
>> with a bare drive folks can be picky about what drive it is.
>>
> I assume the drives in these enclosures are previous generation drives
> (sometimes from whatever manufacturer they can get a good price) that
> do not have a 3 to 5 year warranty like the bare drives you buy have.

Sometimes it works out in your favor. I purchased a couple of Maxtor
external units because a local office supply store had them on sale
CHEAP, much cheaper than I could buy the bare drives. I took the cases
apart and removed the drives, which turned out to be Seagate's latest
perpendicular technology units.

Of course I had no warranty at that point, but generally I don't want a
warranty, I want a working drive, which I got cheaply.

Another problem is that often you can't tell from the box whether it is
a PATA or a SATA drive in the case, so if you plan to rip out the drive
you have to be prepared for either.

Selling external USB drives is a good way to get rid of drives that for
whatever reason they are having trouble selling.

beww