[mythtv-users] S-Video capture details via PVR-500

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 11 21:24:46 UTC 2008

Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> From  the reading I have done, it looks as if the PVR-500 Hauppauge will
> act as an S-Video device.
> Just a couple of questions regarding that.
> How is sound captured?  I want to capture from a DCT-6200 box, so two
> RCA jacks.  Should that be directed into the mini-pin on the back of the
> PVR-500 card?  Or into the sound in plug on your PCI sound card?

Into the PVR card.

> Also, what is this I have read about setting the channel on the PVR-500
> to 3?  How is that done when just being used as an S-Video capture device?
> Anything else I should know before configuring?

The channel of the tuner makes no difference when capturing baseband.
Setting to channel 3 is for STBs outputting RF at channel3 (or 2, or 4).

Myth expects to use a script of some sort to change channels. It wants
to be informed of the success of this script. If for some reason you do
not need a script of this type you'll need to "fake it". I've used
/bin/true to always report "success".

> Thanks all.  I may have a working solution after this.
> Not as clear as firewire, but S-Video should look OK.  Any comments on
> quality of S-Video?

Better than composite, worse than true component. What else can I say?

beww