[mythtv-users] A paradigm shift is coming. Are you ready?

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Feb 12 15:08:36 UTC 2008

> Yeechang Lee wrote:
>> For the past several years the benchmark for North American high
>> definition (1080i MPEG-2 content recorded via FireWire or OTA at
>> 7.5-8GB/hour)-capable MythTV frontend has been a Pentium 4 2.8-3.0GHz
>> with an Nvidia 5200. Anything slower is asking for trouble.[1]
>> Anything that meets this level of performance or better is in fine
>> shape.
>>
>> This is about to change, thanks to two imminent developments:
[deletia]
>> I don't know if I need more CPU horsepower or GPU horsepower;
>> <URL:http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/HD_Playback_Reports> implies
>> CPU is more important, but a faster video card would surely help. As
>> noted above Xv and Bob are quite satisfactory and I don't need the
>> Hauppauge device, per se, because all my HD channels are available via
>> FireWire. I strongly suspect, however, that many of those who are
>> going to be jumping to 0.21 and the Hauppauge device in the coming
>> weeks and months are going to be mightily disappointed without
>> upgrading their previously-satisfactory setups first.
>>
>> [1] Anyone who here jumps up and says "I can use a way slower system
>> with XvMC!" or "I can play 1080i with my MX440!" is both missing the
>> point and misunderstanding the meaning of "benchmark."
>>

> Such is life with a "older" system. Personally I have no problems
> playing that material with xvmc so your benchmark misses the mark in

...well. MythTV h264 seems to be crappy in general. Even new and
powerful systems are affected by this. Hopefully the new Hauppauge
device will help get those issues sorted out.

   As things stand right now, I happily use an external player for
all of my h264 content. Given the features I've cobbled together
for myself, that will likely not change. Although I do hope that
MythTV can exploit the HD PVR in a timely fashion. Realtime h264
transcoding would be just too cool. It doesn't even have to be HD.

[deletia]