[mythtv-users] A paradigm shift is coming. Are you ready?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Tue Feb 12 19:54:46 UTC 2008

> > But there is already a git branch of the intel driver with preliminary
> > hardware acceleration.
>
> Hmm.  How good is it?  My impression of Intel chipsets is that they
> were intended for business use, and didn't have much in the way of
> acceleration.  Is that an outdated assumption?

NVidia cards are better for games but the Intel chipsets have decent
support for motion compensation and other features that are useful to
MythTV.  If all you are using a box for is a media centre, then Intel
offers good value, particularly if you are trying for a quiet, small
form-factor machine.  I think the new Intel Mac Minis (or something
custom-built to a similar spec) would be perfectly capable of handling
HDTV, for example.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.