[mythtv-users] A paradigm shift is coming. Are you ready?

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 13 04:44:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 04:25:00PM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2008, at 1:28 PM, Nicolas Will wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 12:39 -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:
> >> Good to hear.  I'd sort of mentally filed them in the "minimal
> >> framebuffer" category, along with Trident and Chips & Technology.
> >> Nice to hear they're branching out.
> >
> > Well, I am very surprised that they are so badly considered here.
> >
> > After all, they are the best supported GPUs with a completely free
> > driver.
>
> I think in my case it's because my only exposure to them has been in
> bargain-basement Dell boxes.  Most of these were using chips like the
> i810, which had no DRI support if you used 24-bit color.
>    I guess I (incorrectly) extrapolated from that to the assumption
> that Intel was only targeting the "value PC" and business workstation
> markets with these chipsets.

I wouldn't say you were incorrect. This whole media thing is a
relatively new area for Intel. After failing to compete anywhere else,
Intel ended up in the bargain basement integrated chipset market and
stayed there for quite a while, producing really crappy on-board video
controllers. But technology marches on, so the bargain basement has
become a much nicer place than it used to be. I assume their new
openness is part of an effort to change their image a little.

--
Michael Heironimus