[mythtv-users] Question for Chicago Mythtv ers

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 05:44:26 UTC 2008

> Hmmm... If I remember correctly,  in addition to OTA channels on the
> cable, I was receiving "cable" channels like TNT, CNN and WB in
> digital. Can't remember as I've since moved to a OTA antenna. At the
> time I hooked up my pcHDTV3000 to cable, I figured other "cable"
> channels would follow. I didn't expect the higher paid channels to be
> there, but I figured the TBSs and Life channels would.

Unfortunately, I see things going the other way -- that the cable
providers will encrypt everything they're not explicitly required to
carry in the clear (like the locals) or the channels where it's not in
their financial interest to encrypt (like the shopping channels). I do
get a handful of non-encrypted digital channels on the HDHR but
nothing particularly interesting.

The lease fee on an STB pays for the box in under a year and after
that it's all gravy.

An HD tuner will not really let you get the most out of your cable
subscription. I figured that with all the cash I've put into my system
over the years it was worth another buck seventy or so to get baseball
and football games in HD, not to mention March Madness. Getting Nova
and other good PBS stuff in HD is an added bonus.