[mythtv-users] iso to avi

F P zagor.fp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 13:58:06 UTC 2008

On Feb 13, 2008 2:30 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> Matroska (.mkv) and divx (.divx) both claim to support DVD menus in ripped
> files, although I've never seen them in action. The best ISO reencoder I've
> ever used is Handbrake, at http://handbrake.fr/ although as far as I know
> you wouldn't be able to launch it from within MythTV.

Thanks, I'll give HandBrake a try.

edi wrote the following on 2/13/2008 2:20 PM:

>     If you want the DVD menus then you have to stick with the DVD format.
>
>     Most episodic content is mastered one episode per title. So you can
> just rip each individual title. Something like "mplayer dvd://3 -dumpstream"
> is a possible option.
>
>     Once the individual titles are broken out, then you can convert each
> one individually. That's easy enough to script. Just list them out and feed
> that list into a loop that fires off a converter command for each member of
> the list.

I'm very poor at scripting, this might be a good exercise. But in case
someone has already a script available..... I'm lazy....

mencoder, dvd::rip, devede or even nuvexport cannot accept an .iso as
input and allow to select the episodes I want as if it was a real dvd?
If I loop mount the iso, you think I can use any of the above programs
on the image?
Something like:
# mount -o loop -t iso9660 dvd.iso /mnt/isoimage/

Thanks