[mythtv-users] A paradigm shift is coming. Are you ready?

Jon jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 16:33:02 UTC 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Nicolas Will wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 11:26 -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:

>>> I do think that, yes. This is what i said in my previous post.
>>>
>>> Do I want to be held accountable for my posts? No.
>>>
>>> But there is already a git branch of the intel driver with
>> preliminary
>>> hardware acceleration.
>>
>> Hmm.  How good is it?  My impression of Intel chipsets is that they
>> were intended for business use, and didn't have much in the way of
>> acceleration.  Is that an outdated assumption?
>
> If you are playing 3D shooters, they are not comparable to high-end
> nVIDIA chips.
>
> For our use in MythTV, they are way more than enough.
>
> My mother-in-low is running a full 3D Compiz desktop on an old
> Intel 830
> GPU without any slow-down.
>
> GMA900, 950, 300 and 3100 were great improvements.

I used to work as a contractor at intel in Folsom when we were
testing the 830M (mobile) and 845G(desktop) chipsets. We had a full
suite of opengl stress tests that we ran on the systems for 24-48
hours. They can definately handle some video decode. Honestly, at the
time, the 845G was pretty comparable to the GeForce cards. Nothing
compared to like the GeForce4 and newer stuff, but they got pretty
serious about making decent graphics, so they could sell the 'total
package' - cpu, chipset and graphics. They still don't make gaming
graphics though. I hope that this pressures NVidia to release their
info... or maybe AMD/ATI will... Intel's going to get a reaction from
someone.