[mythtv-users] Time for new hardware. CPU HIGH loads

Mark Hutchinson mark at onnow.net
Wed Feb 13 17:44:29 UTC 2008

I am finding CPU load with SVN.  I have tried many profiles and
encoders/interlaced etc... with only moderate success.
For other people building/spec'ing hardware, take note to avoid frustration.

Here is what I want my system to do:
Firewire capture from DCT-6200, Blu-Ray in future into 1080P.
Hopefully Hauppauge HD-PVR.

I currently have a Core3Duo 6300 ( 1.86 ghz ) and max the CPU almost all
the time.
Live TV capture from SD S-Video from DCT-6200 80% CPU.
Mythfrontend or xine playing 720p video is between 90-120CPU%.  This
starts to cause jitter etc....

So, what should the new min spec be for cpu?  Would the E8400 ( 3ghz )
be future proof enough?
It looks like the 264 video require MUCH CPU horsepower.  Especially
with a newer Nvidia card where driver support is weak in XvMC etc...

Thoughts? Recommendations?
With a new release looming, and SVN being a bit of a CPU hog, what to
spec out for the next 2-3 years?