[mythtv-users] Digital audio issues

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 19:23:08 UTC 2008

On Feb 13, 2008 12:07 AM, Justin <luitjens at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have my mythbox (using the latest SVN) connected to my mixer via a
> digital optical cable.  I have an asoundrc file created according to the
> documentation found here:
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound
>
> I am using the mixed-digital.
>
> I also have AC3 and DTS to SPDIF passthrough enabled.
>
> Sound works fine for livetv, recordings, and mythmusic.  However there
> is a quirk in mythvideo.  I have some ISO movies, when I watch them the
> sound is fine unless I try to fast forward, pause, or rewind.  As soon
> as I unpause or finish fast forwarding or rewinding I get digital
> noise.  In order to restore the sound I have to go back to the main menu
> and restart the dvd.
> Does anyone know what might cause this?  Is the audio signal somehow
> changing after I pause it?   I have tried turning the mixer off and back
> on but the noise persists making me believe it is a problem with the
> signal being sent.

It's hard to tell without more information. What linux are you running?
Fedora, MythDora, etc. What sound hardware are you using? Onboard (nForce,
VIA, etc) Or Audigy, Turtle beach?

I also use the .asoundrc w/ mixed digital selected. One interesting thing is
I'm using the same .asoundrc in F8 that I used on FC6, however, under FC6 I
got both mixed digital and analog output from analog sources. Under F8, all
output is digital only. I have pulseaudio disabled...

Richard