[mythtv-users] OT: Can we expect to reap some benefits from Google Android?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Feb 13 22:04:27 UTC 2008

Dewey Smolka wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2008 5:02 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On getting pocketPC to act as frontends i think you are not going to see
>> this happen.  For one with a small screen the video maybe a low bitrate.
>> Also, how can we remotely control the device?  I think android will be open
>> but in the contents of a PPC.
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of smartphone-type boards and
> smartphone-type processors that could drive audio and video out ports,
> Gbit LAN and IR reciever. The article points to the TI machine that is
> (will be) capable of 720p via external port.
>
> The idea isn't a MythFE in your cell phone, but rather a phone-size
> (or pocket PC-size) FE device that's extremely small, extremely
> low-powered, and completely silent.

If you want an extremely small, extremely low-powered and completely
silent pocket sized device to carry around and watch tv, try a Nokia
N810. I transcoded a 7.5GB 1368x720p HD broadcast from PBS down to a
700MB 640x480 version and it plays nicely on the N810. I did not even
try to compress the audio, or play with the frame rate, but the eventual
size could be as low as 500MB.  And the program is 'Nature' and its
*STILL* stunning on the Nokia.

Geoff