[mythtv-users] Time for new hardware. CPU HIGH loads

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 22:59:44 UTC 2008

On 2/13/08, Mark Hutchinson <mark at onnow.net> wrote:
> I am finding CPU load with SVN.  I have tried many profiles and
> encoders/interlaced etc... with only moderate success.
> For other people building/spec'ing hardware, take note to avoid frustration.
>
> Here is what I want my system to do:
> Firewire capture from DCT-6200, Blu-Ray in future into 1080P.
> Hopefully Hauppauge HD-PVR.
>
> I currently have a Core3Duo 6300 ( 1.86 ghz ) and max the CPU almost all
> the time.
> Live TV capture from SD S-Video from DCT-6200 80% CPU.
> Mythfrontend or xine playing 720p video is between 90-120CPU%.  This
> starts to cause jitter etc....
>
> So, what should the new min spec be for cpu?  Would the E8400 ( 3ghz )
> be future proof enough?
> It looks like the 264 video require MUCH CPU horsepower.  Especially
> with a newer Nvidia card where driver support is weak in XvMC etc...

I have a Core2Duo 6300... same as you... and I can play 720p/1080i TV
fine (top reports 30% average across the two cores) using onboard
Intel video (no xvmc) and Intel sound.  I really don't think you have
a CPU horsepower problem.  I am running SVN 16510 on 32-bit fedora 8
at the moment.

I just tried the barberofseville sample 1080p from the Apple site and
it plays perfectly with 45-50% reported in top with mplayer.

I really think you have some other issue... unfortunately I don't have
an idea what.