[mythtv-users] Question for Chicago Mythtv ers

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 02:52:09 UTC 2008

On Feb 13, 2008 3:38 PM, Tom Greer <trgreer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2008 6:29 PM, Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I wrestled with firewire for a bit -- more to control the STB than to
> > get the HD channels but I couldn't keep it stable enough for my
> > liking. You may have more luck, but it just seemed too much of a PITA
> > for me. Plus for firewire you'll need to get a box with an enabled
> > port., e.g. DCT6200. I'm not sure what RCN does, but Comcast resists
> > giving you one of these boxes without an HD subscription until you
> > start quoting FCC regulations at them, and then they charge you
> > $5/mo/box. This will give you the OTA HD channels but you have to pony
> > up another $5/mo for their cable HD channels, which you can't get into
> > Myth anyway.
>
> Correction.  If you have anDCT6200, you *can* stream HD channels into Myth.
> And, you can watch these HD recordings on standard definition TVs, if you
> like.

Yes, as long as Comcast or whomever hasn't flipped the switch on them.
Like I said, I could never get firewire working reliably and abandoned
it before I moved to an HD setup. I don't know what channels beyond
the OTAs are available in HD in Chicago (at least NW zone 2&3). It may
be nothing beyond what I can already get with the HDHR, it may be
more.

But even supposing firewire did work -- does it take any less juice at
the frontend to send HD content to an SD set than to an HD set? This
question is purely academic for me since I've got an HD setup, but
it's pertinent to what the OP was asking and it's something I've never
really understood.

It would be nice to be able to get Discovery in HD, for example, but
for me it's just not worth the extra monthly charge, plus the hassle
of running firewire, plus the worry of Comcast changing their policies
on a whim.

The only things that HD really matters to me for are sports, most of
which are on OTA channels anyway. Of course the sport that would
benefit the most from HD broadcasts has close to zero games in HD. But
nobody has ever accused the NHL of being smart.

<rant>
I grew up watching the Patrick Division and was a big fan of the game.
But once they started rolling in dot com money and trying to grow it
inorganically it just became a huge mess.

- They forced teams with long histories and dedicated fans to chase
money in decidedly non-hockey places (eg Quebec Nordiques, Winnipeg
Jets, Hartford Whalers, Minnesota North Stars)

- They expanded the league beyond the point where they could sustain a
truly elite talent pool

- They structured the season and playoffs such that the playoffs go on
forever and no single regular-season game is worth a thing

- They tacitly approved of or actively encouraged fans to throw debris
on the ice

- They've gone back and forth on ridiculous overtime options rather
than just playing until somebody wins

- And the worst crime of all: they restructured the league to
eliminate one of the greatest rivalries in all of sports. I still
cannot believe that the Maple Leafs and Canadiens will never again
play each other for The Cup. At least until one of them moves to San
Diego, and that's just frightening enough to happen.

</rant>

Note to self: Do not post to the Myth list after drinking beer.