[mythtv-users] iso to avi

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Thu Feb 14 03:38:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, February 14, 2008 2:30 am, Matt Emmott wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2008 6:53 AM, F P <zagor.fp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a few DVDs backed up on my HD as .iso images.
>> Now I'd like to convert them to DivX/XviD.
>> How can I do it?
>>
>> The iso/DVDs contain different episodes and I'd like to convert them
>> all, or even to convert the whole iso to an avi file which retains all
>> dvd content, including menus (impossible, right? don't know anything
>> on how a divx is done or what is capable of...).
>>
>> If I must convert each episode by itself, is there a way to do it
>> bilingual?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Francesco
>>

> Matroska (.mkv) and divx (.divx) both claim to support DVD menus in ripped
> files, although I've never seen them in action. The best ISO reencoder
> I've
> ever used is Handbrake, at http://handbrake.fr/ although as far as I know
> you wouldn't be able to launch it from within MythTV.

There is quite a lot of info on doom9.net forums about menus in containers
other than a DVD. see e.g. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=117574

It refers to a program that runs on windows of course, but it may give
some inspiration to someone to do a similar thing in *nix.

What players honour those less common menuing systems is unknown to me.
Even DVD menus have been a long time coming to some *nix video players
(mplayer for example).

--
Nick Rout