[mythtv-users] Digital audio issues

Justin luitjens at cs.utah.edu
Thu Feb 14 05:39:55 UTC 2008

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have my mythbox (using the latest SVN) connected to my mixer via a
>> digital optical cable.  I have an asoundrc file created according to the
>> documentation found here:
>> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound
>>
>> I am using the mixed-digital.
>>
>> I also have AC3 and DTS to SPDIF passthrough enabled.
>>
>> Sound works fine for livetv, recordings, and mythmusic.  However there
>> is a quirk in mythvideo.  I have some ISO movies, when I watch them the
>> sound is fine unless I try to fast forward, pause, or rewind.  As soon
>> as I unpause or finish fast forwarding or rewinding I get digital
>> noise.  In order to restore the sound I have to go back to the main menu
>> and restart the dvd.
>> Does anyone know what might cause this?  Is the audio signal somehow
>> changing after I pause it?   I have tried turning the mixer off and back
>> on but the noise persists making me believe it is a problem with the
>> signal being sent.
>>

> It's hard to tell without more information. What linux are you running?
> Fedora, MythDora, etc. What sound hardware are you using? Onboard (nForce,
> VIA, etc) Or Audigy, Turtle beach?
>
> I also use the .asoundrc w/ mixed digital selected. One interesting thing is
> I'm using the same .asoundrc in F8 that I used on FC6, however, under FC6 I
> got both mixed digital and analog output from analog sources. Under F8, all
> output is digital only. I have pulseaudio disabled...
>
> Richard

I'm using fedora 8 with the nforce4 motherboard using the built in.
Here is aplay -l:

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I've configured alsa to use the second device.

Justin