[mythtv-users] AM2 Motherboard with PCI slots galore

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 16:25:37 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 6:54 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> I guess you would have to go to server class mobos to get away from
> products designed for gamers.

That's the conclusion I came to, however, even in most of the newer
server class motherboards, the PCI slots are getting harder and harder
to come by as well. PCI-X or PCI-E is it.

I'm in somewhat of the same situation as you. I have (4) PCI-based
ATSC tuners, and looking to upgrade my backend. I'm not sure if this
would work for your individual situation, but I'm strongly considering
buying (2) of the HD Homerun boxes, and ditching the PCI tuners. In
reality, in my entire Myth setup (backends, frontends, etc) the tuners
are the only thing I need PCI for.

Ditching the PCI-tuners and going with 2 HDHR's, means that I can run
a backend server motherboard with zero extra cards (save the raid card
which is PCI-X, and every server motherboard in the last 5 years
supports). GIG-E, lower-class video, etc, all on the motherboard.

Something to consider...