[mythtv-users] MythTV frontend without TV tuner or MySQL backend

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 20:36:40 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
<snip>

> The frontend needs to connect to a backend in order to function.
> However, there are plenty of linux tools available for playing your
> current media through your video card and to your fancy new TV. :)
> Not sure what distro you're using, but many of the popular ones come
> with media players when you select the option to install them. You can
> use those until you are able to get a dedicated MythTV system set up.
>
> Is there a reason you don't want to install a backend along with the
> frontend on your machine? If you're not
> recording/commflagging/transcoding, etc, etc. it shouldn't take up many
> resources. Even MySQL will sit mostly idle in your situation.
>
> -Brad

Hi Brad,

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 (AMD64), I just assumed the backend would use
lots of resources.  If it doesn't actually use much of the resources (I
won't have any tuner cards installed) then I think I'll just do that (or
try and install the backend on my Ubuntu server).

I'm just looking for a family friendly solution which will pass the
wife-to-be test.  At the moment we've been using my XBOX with XBOX Media
Center which did everything that we wanted albeit in standard def.

I guess if I do run MythTV, my other half and kids can get used to it
and might be more understanding when buy a nice Media Centre case, dual
core CPU and motherboard that I've had my eye on :-)

Thanks for your advice everyone, I'll give it a try (when the DVI to
HDMI cable arrives).

Rob