[mythtv-users] HDMI-to-CAT5 Converter

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Feb 15 21:25:35 UTC 2008

On Feb 15, 2008, at 12:29 AM, Bob wrote:
> you only need 4 wires to power 3 speakers as negative is common, (or
> neutral or black whatever you want to call it) you should check this
> first but I've not had a problem with the 3 installs I've done this
> way.

Be careful.  Not all amplifiers have a common ground for all the
speakers.  Some use push-pull final stages where the negative terminal
is *not* at ground potential and is *not* the same for all speakers.
I suspect this is more common on car audio equipment than on home
systems, but in theory any amplifier *could* be wired this way.  If it
is tying the negative terminals together can cause distortion or even
damage to the amplifier.