[mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sat Feb 16 01:30:14 UTC 2008

On 14 Feb 2008, at 20:44, Lan Barnes wrote:
> On Thu, February 14, 2008 6:49 am, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
>> I was thinking of also cutting up recordings ( dont mind losing ) and
>> videos ( need some redundancy or backup )
>
> I'm baffled by why anyone would consider RAID for a myth box. RAID
> uses
> redundant HDs to decrease the likelyhood of data loss through drive
> failure. Expensive but worth it if the data is golden.
>
> But in the final analysis, myth recordings are JUST TV. ...

Hi Lan,

If you reread Mark's post he _did_ address this, in the two lines
I've quoted above.

Whilst one might not care about losing last week's episode of
$SITCOM, in removing the encryption and recompressing with a more
efficient codec (including trial-and-error to see the results with
different settings) one might spend a lot of time ripping one's own
DVDs or Blu-Ray disks to hard-drive. Cough, cough, downloaded movies,
mumble.

Stroller.